I have spent too many days of my life in a hospital. Having to take my 4 week old son to a place I was far too familiar with was the hardest thing I have done in my life. Here's how it all started.
Coming home from UVA Soccer Camp on July 16th, Melissa and I had made plans to go to Woodstock and see our nephew Daniel since I had not had a chance to see him since his birth. On the night before, Melissa reminded me that Ben III had a follow up appointment with the doctor the following morning and she was also going to ask about his "throw up" problems. The next day on my drive back, Melissa called and said the hospital wanted to run some tests (an ultrasound) on Ben's stomach. "No problem" I said. Melissa called back 30 minutes later and said it looked serious and I should come home. I remember not being worried at this point mainly because Melissa sounded so calm about everything. When I got home we were packed in 10 minutes and drove directly to Roanoke Memorial. Once there, things took off. Within five minutes Ben was stripped down and tests began. Shortly afterwards we were told that an IV and tubes would have to be placed in Ben to help get him fluids since he could not feed. Even writing this now as I recall it is difficult. I knew their was no way I was leaving his side when this had to happen. I know Melissa wanted to leave because she could not stand to see her son in state of pain and helplessness. She stayed though, and she did better than I did. In fact, her staying gave me strength to be there. We watched as they held his hand an put in an IV. Because he was so small, they only had to us a rubber band as a tourniquet. Watching his blood drawn was not the toughest part. That came next. Something called an "NG" Tube was placed up his nose and down into his stomach. This really shook me up because it reminded me that no matter how much I want to protect him, it truly is not in my hands. It is in God's...and I accept that and it gives me peace to know it. The surgeon came in and felt in Ben's stomach where and what the problem was explaining to us that feeling the problem is the only way to approve the procedure. He found it and 30 minutes later we were off to surgery. This was actually a blessing because we were not originally scheduled for surgery until the next morning. Being able to get Ben in immediately lessened the time for his recovery and quickened his time back feeding. I remember looking the anesthesiologist in the eye and telling him to make sure he took care of my son. I did not want to let him go. We were told to wait in a room, but we were going nuts just sitting there. We prayed for Ben and the doctors and we waited. Soon after, the doctor came out and gave us news that everything was great. We got him back in our arms just a short while later and have never let him out since. He has been doing better and better every day. He is growing, holding food down and sleeping more. Most noticeably is how much he smiles. All that is left is that scar on his stomach. Marme says kids with Pyloric Stynosis grow up to be more successful. I am all for that. I am just thankful that he's growing up.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment